Ladies and Gentlemen, let the Eightieth Hunger Games begin!

Posted on

Our government will kill me. That’s what I think as I survey the beach-like terrain that is spread out before me. My eyes grow wide as I try to take in everything before the massacres begin. Knowing the careers will want me to join them, I seek out an escape route I can take to avoid them. My lungs fill up with air knowing that they will have to pump their hardest to keep me alive. I eye the silver disk-like object we are supported by and notice that the Capitol tries its hardest to keep dehumanizing us to Panem. They want the people to look at us like a repercussion of defiance and a sacrifice that the Capitol can decorate to suit their fancy and serve on a silver platter.

Suddenly I want to find anyway off of this dish so as not to give the Capitol their delighted show, but my uncle keeps me on, as I hear him ushering me to stay  so I won’t be blown sky-high and so I can survive for my mother. I only know him from stories, but along those spoken heirlooms, I have learned that he and I were alike in many ways. For my mother, I can only hope that by some miracle I can defy this corrupted authority and live. Seeing the palm trees correspond their movements in their orchestrated fashion gives me a nudge and tells me that this beautiful tropic oasis won’t be friendly for long. It is like a movie -the Hunger Games- in that we will stay on a set that can seem beautiful from the cameras of face-value but turn deadly for the characters.

A rustle in a nearby tree catches my acute sense of observation. Upon further examination, I can just barely make out eyes and notice a tail that I realize is a giant lizard slithering around like an innocent child that will no doubt kill one tribute here. That lizard embodies every one of us and mentally I make a one-sided pact that I won’t be too upset if it kills me so as long as it agrees to grow up strong and defy this horrid government. That thought reminds me that if I can make this lizard seem like that innocent tribute shaking in my peripheral vision, that this is going to be a lot harder than I have prepared my survival mindset to be. With a cannon shot, my thoughts bounce back to reality and leave me to sprint for my life in a humid and deadly scorching tropic kill-zone.

3 thoughts on “Ladies and Gentlemen, let the Eightieth Hunger Games begin!

1. I think this essay was very well written. Between the expressed hatred for the government and the vivid description of the arena you were able to capture the plot of the games perfectly. The comment about being ok with the lizard killing you as long as it grows up to bring down the government was intense. The similes used were incredible and I really enjoyed reading them. The attention getter was good but the only problem I found with it is you didn’t really tie it back to anything in the first paragraph other then that great writing.

2. I thought this was very well written. Only thing though was I thought you got a little off topic when you were describing the lizard and didn’t focus as much as what was in front of you. I thought you could’ve described a little more how you felt, overall I enjoyed this post.

3. The blog was very well written but you got off topic a bit. You talked about the lizard which didn’t really have anything to do with the rest of the blog. Other than that the blog was great with very vivid details.